Sunday, December 12, 2010

Sunday Breakfast

So I picked up a waffle maker at the Cuisinart sale. Never had one before. I guess I was always more a French Toast person than a waffle or pancake person. But I know Mr. H likes waffles and I certainly won't walk away from one.
Just mix up some of your favorite waffle batter:
And pour:
Wait for the green light and mmmm hmmmm:
It has 5 numbered settings for light to dark. We started with 3 but I like mine a little crispy so 5 it is. Waffles must be accompanied by bacon. Mr. H found that cooking it in the oven is much easier and less messy than frying in a skillet and it gets nice and browned and crispy.

Line a large baking sheet with foil. Heat oven to 400 and adjust rack to middle. Arrange the bacon slices on the baking sheet with the edges just barely overlapping. Roast 5-6 minutes then rotate the pan for even cooking. Continue cooking another 8-10 minutes until crisp and brown.
No curled up edges, no spattered grease all over the stove and you can cook an entire pound all at once. Just drain on paper towels. I'm tellin ya this is the best way to cook bacon. Check out the clean up:
Now one last thing and probably THE most important thing to remember.......
Please, for all that is holy, separate the bacon from the waffle plate.

1 comment:

  1. I love cooking bacon in the stove! You're right, sis, no splatters and no greasy clean ups. The last time I fried chicken, it was crispy and juicy. I didn't steam it! I heated the oil to just over medium, then after placing the chicken in the pan, lowered it to just under medium.

    Another tip that somehow I just discovered, (though non-related) is drop a clove a garlic into boiling water for just a minute. Once it cools it is tres easy to peel!

    ReplyDelete