Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Le Creuset meet Chicken Tortilla Soup

Have I said how much I love my Le Creuset Dutch Oven? I have it sitting on my stovetop. #1 because I use it alot and #2 it's too darn heavy to move in and out of the cupboard. So there it sits all pretty just waiting to cook up something delicious. Just made Chicken Tortilla Soup and it was, yes, delicious. I'll put the recipe at the end but here is the skinny:

Saute a diced medium onion, green pepper and jalapeno in olive oil til soft. Throw in some diced garlic for 30 seconds.


Then add 1/2 cup white wine. If you don't have any that's ok just add an extra 1/2 cup of water or chicken broth when adding the other wet stuff but it's fun to do the one for the pot and one for me while cooking. Then add the rest of the ingredients (except for the black beans, I add when the shredded chicken goes back in) including chicken breasts and bring to a boil. And yes I washed my hands before and after.



Simmer about 15 minutes then fish out the chicken breasts and shred with 2 forks.


Throw the shredded chicken back in with the black beans and simmer another 30 minutes.


Serve, topped with weapons of choice. I swirl in a little sour cream and crush some tortilla chips on top. And I warm a few flour tortillas for dippin. Heaven on earth. The picture does not do it justice. And how about that fabulous dishware....bought about 15 years ago at Mervyn's. These suckers will not break and until they do can't justify buying new ones.


Chicken Tortilla Soup

2 TBS Olive Oil
1 medium onion chopped
1 jalapeno diced
1 green pepper diced
4 cloves garlic diced
3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 cups frozen corn
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
4 14 oz cans chicken broth (low sodium)
2 14 oz cans diced tomatoes
2 8 oz cans tomato sauce
1-2 cans black beans rinsed (optional)

Saute onion, green pepper and jalapeno in olive oil until soft
Add garlic and saute another 30 seconds
Add white wine and saute another 30 seconds
Add the rest of the ingredients except black beans and bring to a boil. Simmer 15 minutes
Remove chicken breasts and shred with 2 forks. Return to pot with black beans and simmer about 30 minutes.
Serve with sour cream, crushed tortilla chips and warm flour tortillas on the side

No comments:

Post a Comment