Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Burritos

Made burritos for dinner tonight. I found that cooking the refried beans in with the ground beef makes a delicious filling.Here are the basics. Although beef in a chub......


Looks like this in the pan....nice, huh?


Anyway, brown the beef and then about halfway through I drain the grease and add some diced onion.


Then add the spices...I love these little jars from Cost Plus. I am starting to transition my often used spices to them. Nice wide mouth so the measuring spoons actually fit inside unlike most of the store bought jars.





Then add the tomato sauce and refried beans. Mix well and simmer for about 10 minutes.Warm your tortillas and add the beef mixture and whatever else floats your boat. I add shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, tomatoes and shredded lettuce. But olives, avocado, salsa, etc., are also good options.



A couple of key points for successful burrito building/folding....Get large tortillas that are not too thick (otherwise too hard to fold). DO NOT (like I do) overfill the tortilla or you will end up with what I made, a Burraco:


My tortillas were fat and I filled them with too much stuff. I can't help myself. But I am working on it.

1 LB ground beef
8 oz can tomato sauce
16 oz can refried beans
1 small onion diced
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
3/4 tsp coriander
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
3/4 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper

Brown ground beef and onion in large skillet. Drain. Mix in remaining ingredients and simmer 10 minutes.

Wrap filling into tortilla with choice of toppings (cheese, sour cream, olives, tomatoes, lettuce, etc)

P.S. I am working on my camera settings for food pictures. Of course natural light is the best but it is getting darker much earlier here now so do not have much good daylight left at dinner time. These look a bit washed out.

1 comment:

  1. These look yummy! Almost as big as the "berto" brothers buritos. (Still can't believe you ate the whole thing!!

    ReplyDelete