Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Fried Zucchini Cakes

I wanted to add another side dish to the usual cauli/mash or cauli/rice that we often have so decided to try making fried zucchini cakes. They were actually very good. Had them tonight with the fabulous chicharrones oven fried chicken. And how!

The key is to get as much moisture out of the zucchini as you can. Shred 3 zucchini's in the food processor. Put it in a colander and sprinkle some salt to draw out the water:

Let it set for a while then squeeze it through cheesecloth or paper towels. You can see how much liquid came out of one small handful:
Put it in a large bowl and add 2 beaten eggs, finely diced red onion, some chopped italian parsley, some shredded Parmesan, salt & pepper (and whatever other spices you might like), and 3 TBS coconut flour (regular flour is ok but we are trying for lower carbs and Sprouts now has coconut flour in their bins):


Mix well and form into thin patties:
Heat some olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat and brown about 5-6 minutes each side:
I cooked them in 2 batches so there was plenty of room to flip. They were really good and a nice change from the usual.

1 comment:

  1. Nice. I need to try them. I fell off the wagon and I've gained almost 10 lbs. People (including myself) don't understand that lowcarb is a lifestyle not a diet. Self control will be my goal so reading this inspires me.

    Thank you Holmes!

    ReplyDelete