Monday, April 11, 2011

Brownies (No Sugar, No Flour or No Harm, No Foul)

Another, I think, lower carb success. I used Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa and they came out a rich, dark, almost black color with a nice dark chocolate tang. But any cocoa will do.

Preheat oven to 350 and generously butter a 13 x 9 x 2 pan.

So for the flour substitute I used a combo of 1 cup walnut meal (I ground the walnuts myself in a food processor) and since it comes out a little coarse I also added 3/4 cup almond meal. Sprouts has almond meal in their bins and it has a much softer texture closer to flour. Then added 3/4 cup of the Hershey's Dark Cocoa, 1 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1 1/2 tsp baking soda and 1/2 tsp kosher salt for the dry ingredients.
Yes I am a messy cook, move along, nothing to see here....

In a small bowl whisk 2 room temp eggs, then add 1 cup room temp coconut milk, 1/2 cup honey and whisk again.
 Mmmmmm.....honey.....
Add 2 tsp vanilla extract and 1/3 cup melted coconut oil and mix well. Add wet mixture to dry mixture and make sure you mix well so all the dry ingredients are blended. At this point you can either gently fold in some chopped walnuts or just sprinkle some on top once the batter is poured in the pan or skip the nuts if you don't like them in your brownies (I like lots of nuts in my brownies but to each his own-I sprinkled nuts on half and they all sunk in just as if I had folded them in).
Bake for 35-40 minutes and voila:
Cool completely before cutting. They are a lighter cake-like brownie but very delish. And you are cutting out a couple cups of sugar and a cup or so of flour from the traditional brownie recipes. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
1 cup walnut meal
3/4 cup almond meal
3/4 cup cocoa
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp kosher salt
2 large eggs room temp
1 cup coconut milk room temp
1/2 cup honey
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup melted coconut oil
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

No comments:

Post a Comment